Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Love 'Em Or Hate 'Em: Superstars



We're back for round 2 of "Love 'Em Or Hate 'Em." How exciting! In this edition, we'll take a look at a handful of superstar athletes. After a brief discussion, the ultimate decision will be made: is this a guy you should cheer for? Should you add him on Twitter or buy his throwback jersey on Ebay? Or is this a guy you should despise, taking pleasure every time he winds up in the news for being an idiot? Only one way to find out: ready go!


Kobe Bryant - I'll be honest: I wish Kobe was found guilty back in Colorado. He's an arrogant SOB, and I can't stand to watch him play (let alone watch him win). Kobe is largely responsible for the NBA's pathetic shift from a league that's "all about teams" to a league that's "all about me." And he gets EVERY call. Hell, I bet if he bumped into his kitchen counter, Joey Crawford would be right there to call a blocking foul. You probably guessed from this Kobe-inspired rant, I hate 'im.


Tiger Woods - On the rare occasions when I used to watch golf, I rooted for Tiger. But even without considering the whole sex scandal - you're free to make your own judgments about that - I can't stand him anymore. I'm just so sick of hearing about him. He took over ESPN, all day every day, for at least a month. And for that, I hate 'im.


Albert Pujols - It's been a long time since a player like Albert Pujols has come to the MLB. Pulols is an absolutely incredibly hitter. He posts amazing stats year after year, and, in this day and age where everyone is using performance enhancers, he has yet to be tainted by the word "steroids." Maybe I'm naive, or maybe he's the real deal. Pujols has received a multitude of awards, perhaps even the most esteemed honor in all of baseball. The only thing to hate about him - unless you're a Cardinals fan - is that he doesn't play for your team. I hope he does someday, because I love 'im.


Peyton Manning - Peyton Manning is an unbelievably talented quarterback. He throws with velocity and accuracy, making every WR on the Colts' roster look good. There are only good things to say about Peyton Manning, the football player. But there are some bad things to say about Peyton Manning the person: #1 - he's brothers with Eli. Gross. (How can you stand it??) #2 - he does wayyy too many endorsements. And finally #3 - I hear he's kind of a douche. In summary, I hate 'im.


Derek Jeter - Pro: a classy gentleman. Con: plays for the Yankees. It's so easy to hate everyone on the Yankee's roster. But if I had to pick one guy that I can stand, maybe even root for, it would be Derek Jeter. He's a talented player, and quite the leader as well. And who can forget the flip play vs. the A's. It pains me to say it, but I love 'im.


Tom Brady - If you follow the "celeb drama," you might not like Brady too much. But it's hard not to be impressed by his accomplishments. After going at pick 199 in round 6 of the 2000 NFL draft, Brady has hoisted the Vince Lombardi trophy three times. Not bad for a former practice squad player. And he's always good for a solid highlight reel. I hate Tom Brady's pretty boy demeanor, but as a quarterback, I love 'im.


Lebron James - Never have I seen an athlete go from hero to villain as fast as Lebron James did. He went from a talented, budding superstar, to a cocky, egomaniacal jackass. If James had won a championship in Cleveland, I wouldn't have been happy, but I sure would have respected him. If he wins a ring in Miami, I'll hate him even more. As it is, I hate 'im quite a bit, and I hope he never wins a championship.


Brett Farve - Hmm...Do I love Brett Farve? Do I hate him? I'm not sure. I'll tell you once training camp is over. Kidding aside, no athlete has ever annoyed me more than Brett. Shut up, Meg. I hate 'im.


Landon Donovan - Donovan is the closest thing American has to a "soccer superstar." The goal he scored to push the U.S. into the knockout round was the most important goal in U.S. soccer history, and it will be remembered for decades to come. Wherever you were, it was incredible to watch. I hope, for Donovan's sake, the MLS lets him finish his career in the EPL. He deserves it; I love 'im.

That wraps it up for this edition of "Love 'Em Or Hate 'Em." Next time, we'll take a look at...something else. Remember: whether you love 'em, or you hate 'em, we keep on watching 'em.



No comments:

Post a Comment